Flippy is a green bear who is a war veteran.
Not much is known about Flippy except that he served in a war (presumably against a country of tigers, as shown in Operation Tiger Bomb), and that, perhaps as a result of traumatic events during the war (such as the deaths of his teammates) he developed PTSD, along with a split personality known as "Fliqpy".
Whenever Flippy hears or sees anything that reminds him of warfare or combat, such as the sounds of popcorn popping, or an alarm bell ringing, he "flips out" and switches over into his alternate personality, who then kills everyone in the vicinity (perhaps because he perceives himself as being in a combat situation and mistakes everyone else as an enemy combatant).
Whenever he switches back into Flippy, he usually has no memory of what happened, and usually does not acknowledge the bloodshed that his split personality caused
(Do not compare his "split personality" with either Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or Dissociative Identity Disorder. His "split personality" schtick does not match any description of actual PTSD or DID in the DSM-IV and is more akin to something out of a Hollywood slasher flick. Needless to say, it would be unfair to real, actual sufferers of these mental illnesses if you compared them to a murderous green cartoon bear or to any other kind of Hollywood Psycho)
Normally, Flippy's "flip-outs" last for the duration of the episode, during which he is an unstoppable killing machine. As of (and during) the canon episode "Double Whammy" Flippy has been shown reverting back from his evil personality more often (and his split personality has even been seen FAILING to kill people), suggesting he has a better degree of control over his flip-outs.
He is the most popular character on the show, as according to official "character tournament" polls held by MondoMedia during mid-July 2013.
The effects of this popularity can be seen in the number of fan-characters who are romantically or otherwise paired up with him (examples: Ale, Martyna, Gaby, Lucky, Mahogany, Paurii, Cindy, Yooriliz, Wolfle, Betty, etc.), and the number of fan-characters who are also given military apparel and backgrounds/are modeled after him.
However, a vocal and significant portion of the fandom looks down on fans who model their OCs after Flippy or pairs up with him, derisively referring to such fan-characters as "Flippy-Sues" (a contraction of "Mary-Sue" and "Flippy-Sue"), and are also disturbingly fixated on condemning and hating "Flippy Sues" as much as possible.
This negative attitude towards "Flippy-Sues" is so pervasive in the fandom that many have ceased to make military-themed fancharacters and/or pair their fancharacters up with them, and many have made joke/parody Flippy-sues in response to the trend
As of recently, the parody and joke Flippy-Sues have far outnumbered the genuine ones, so it's safe to say, that the fandom's fixation on condemning and hating them something akin to beating the proverbial dead horse.
Flippy is most often shipped with Flaky by a large number of fans, who claim that there is canonical evidence of this pairing- Flipqy seems to avoid directly killing Flaky in most of his appearances, and Flaky once threw Flippy a birthday party, and in Double Whammy, Flaky's screaming was what snapped Flippy out of his flip-out.
Mondomedia may or may not be aware of the popularity of the Flippy/Flaky ship, as they ended up competing with each other in the final round of the character tournament poll in Mid-July.
Naturally a lot of fans also like to speculate what sort of children they would have. The most popular and notable depictions of the results of a Flippy/Flaky coupling were drawn by Chama (artist of HTH: Happy Tree High)- In his pictures Flippy and Flaky have two kids which are the opposites of their parents: a small red porcupine with Fliqpy's eyes and attitude who apparently bullies its sibling, a small green bear bear who is constantly crying but likes to be cuddled.
In deadlydark's comics, Flippy is afraid of boats.
Fan considered theme songs
- Monster by Skillet.
- Sweating Bulllets by Megadeth (lyrics, first verse, Fliqpy to Flippy; "Hello, Me! / Meet the REAL me!...").
- This Ain't a Scene, It's An Arms-Race by Fall Out Boy (lyrics, first verse, Fliqpy only, "I am an arms-dealer/Fitting you with weapons in the form of words...).
- Irti ("Hands off") by Ruoska (though lyrics is in Finnish, it's easy to imagine Flippy listening to it: most of the time he is fighting in his trademark ferocious way, but on choruses...).
- Chapter Four by Avenged Sevenfold(Fliqpy, Evil Flippy) (The lyrics that totally sound like him in this song are:Im comin' ta kill you, wont leave until you died. Murder brought avengeance, I closed my brothers eyes.Tonight")
- Danger Line by Avenged Sevenfold (Good Flippy) (Its about how he is sorry he hurt his friends and family and others, even himself)
- Bad Company by Five Finger Death Punch (Fliqpy) (It mainly sounds like him "Bad Company,and I can't deny. Bad,bad company 'till the day I die"
- Psycho by Imelda May (Flippy and Flipqy) (It's a mix between Flippy's point of view before he's flipped out, and in parts from the point of view of someone possibly observing Flipqy.)
- Bird and the Worm by The Used.
- Animal I Have Become by Three Days Grace
- Call of Duty Theme ( near 1:07 might be Evil Flippy )
- Psycho Killer by The Talking Heads.
- Madness by Muse
- Coming Undone by Korn
Number of Kills
- Cuddles - 15 (This is Your Knife, Flippin' Burgers, Keepin' it Reel, Remains to be Seen, Party Animal, Autopsy Turvy, A Day To Forget, Welcome To My Knife, New Season Teaser, CJ vs Flippy 1 and 2, The Glues on You, A Jumble of Personalities, "The Big Surprise of Flippy", "Breaking the Habit")
- Giggles - 12 (This is Your Knife, Flippin' Burgers, Remains to be Seen, Double Whammy, On My Mind, Remains of the Flippy, Welcome To My Knife, New Season Teaser, The Glues on You, "The Big Surprise of Flippy", "Breaking the Habit", By the Seat of Your Pants)
- Toothy - 11 (Hide and Seek, Keepin' it Reel, Remains to be Seen, Party Animal, Autopsy Turvy, Trouble Double Crosser, New Season Teaser, A Jumble of Personalities, "The Big Surprise of Flippy", "Breaking the Habit", By the Seat of Your Pants)
- Lumpy - 5 (Keepin' it Reel, CJ vs Flippy 2, A Jumble of Personalities, "Breaking the Habit", "My Friend the Killer")
- Petunia - 8 (Hide and Seek, Flippin' Burgers, Keepin' it Reel, Remains to be Seen, Double Whammy, Bloody Parks, Trouble Double Crosser, Welcome To My Knife)
- Handy - 4 (Remains to be Seen, A Day To Forget, Trouble Double Crosser, Welcome To My Knife)
- Nutty - 8 (Remains to be Seen, Party Animal, Double Whammy, A Day To Forget, Welcome To My Knife, Random Acts Of Silence, "The Big Surprise of Flippy", By the Seat of Your Pants)
- Sniffles - 10 (Remains to be Seen, Party Animal, Double Whammy, Remains of the Flippy, Bloody Parks, Welcome To My Knife, Random Acts Of Silence, A Jumble of Personalities, "The Big Surprise of Flippy", By the Seat of Your Pants)
- Pop - 5 (Flippin' Burgers, Remains of the Flippy, Bloody Parks, Welcome To My Knife, "Breaking the Habit")
- Cub - 4 (Flippin' Burgers, Remains of the Flippy, Bloody Parks, Welcome To My Knife)
- Flaky - 8 (Hide and Seek, This is Your Knife, Happy Trails Part 2, Keepin' it Reel, Remains of the Flippy, A Day To Forget, Welcome To My Knife, "The Big Surprise of Flippy")
- The Mole - 3 (Remains to be Seen, Bloody Parks, Welcome To My Knife)
- Disco Bear - 3 (Double Whammy, Trouble Double Crosser, Welcome To My Knife)
- Russell - 3 (Remains to be Seen, Welcome To My Knife, Swordfish of the Stone)
- Lifty - 5 (Remains to be Seen, Easy For You to Sleigh, Autopsy Turvy, Remains of the Flippy, Welcome To My Knife)
- Shifty - 5 (Remains to be Seen, Easy For You to Sleigh, Autopsy Turvy, Remains of the Flippy, Welcome To My Knife)
- Mime - 6 (Keepin' it Reel, Remains to be Seen, Party Animal, Double Whammy, A Day To Forget, Random Acts Of Silence)
- Splendid - 1 ("Breaking the Habit")
- Cro-Marmot - 1 (Remains of the Flippy)
- Lammy - 3 (Remains of the Flippy, Trouble Double Crosser, Welcome To My Knife)
- Mr. Pickles - 3 (Remains of the Flippy, CJ vs Flippy 1 and 2)
- Robo Star - 2 (Robo Star Smoochie, Nice killin ya!)
- Itchy - 1 (Itchy & Scratchy & Happy Tree Friends)
- Truffles - 3 (Truffles' Revenge, Trouble Double Crosser, By the Seat of Your Pants)
- Rip - 1 (Trouble Double Crosser)
- Pia - 1 (Trouble Double Crosser)
- Jussy - 1 (Trouble Double Crosser)
- Howdy - 1 (Trouble Double Crosser)
- Shuffles - 1 (Trouble Double Crosser)
- Hippy - 2 ("Welcome To My Knife", "Don't Be Trippy, Hippy")
- Pranky - 1 (Last Laugh)
- Trippy - 1 (Don't Be Trippy, Hippy)
- Toad - 1 (Flippyness)
- Giovanti - 1 (CJ vs Flippy 2)
- Queen - 1 (Better off Bed)
Flippy's Fanon Deaths
This will list all the deaths Flippy has had in fanon episodes.
- Nail White Part 2: Run over by a car.
- Trouble Double Crosser: Killed in the fight of dancers (debatable).
- All Work and No Belay: Run over by Lumpy's giant snowball.
- Tools for Fools: His skull is crushed by a tire.
- When You Fish Upon A Star: Dies in a plane explosion.
- Four the Record: Dies when Splendid's bomb explodes (debatable).
- Torn and Rip's Revenge: Killed by Torn.
- Mall-oween: Hit by a knife.
- Welcome To My Knife: Splendid rips his head off.
- About to Clown: His head is impaled by a cannon ball.
- Flippy's War Smoochie: Burnt by fire; split in half by a cage; impaled by a knife.
- Flippy's Battlefield Smoochie: Dies of blood loss when he is impaled by a bowie knife; dies when a circuit explodes; shot by a war plane.
- Swordfish of the Stone: Buddhist Monkey slices him to pieces with a swordfish after they both flip out.
- Candy is Dandy: Attacked and eaten by killer ducks.
- Three Bucks: May have choked (debatable)
- My Friend the Killer: Fall and spalters.
- Flaky is the one who Flippy gets paired the most often with, Flippy/Flaky being the most popular couple in the fandom.
- Flippy appears in a crossover fan series Leena + Friends (Filming Disaster episode). He only appears for a short time, attacking other characters.
- In Mrboy90's Fanisodes, Flippy somewhat likes Toad. Toad likes him as well.
- In fan version episodes, he is afraid of Itchy.
- Flippy's kill count is the biggest in the show.
- In fan version episodes, he and Hippy replace Russell.
- His birthday may be on May 29th.
Click here to view this page's gallery.